Contact the TCC Library
Answered By Library Staff Last Updated: Jun 01, 2020 Views: 196
To create your running head and number your pages in Microsoft Word, follow these steps:
1. Go to the Cover Page of your document.
2. Choose the Insert menu.
3. Select the Page Number drop down, then Top of Page.
4. Choose Plain Number 3 from the list of header options. The page number will now show up in the header.
5. Place your cursor right in front of the page number in your header and type the abbreviated title of your paper in ALL CAPS just in front of the page number.
6. Press the tab key to move the abbreviated title to the left. The page number will remain at the right.
7. While still keeping your cursor in the header area, click the Header & Footer Tool's Design menu tab.
Note: this may already be selected.
8. Check the box for Different First Page. You will now see a blank header on your cover page. This allows you to have a different header on your cover page than you will have on the rest of your paper.
9. Type Running Head: YOUR PAPER TITLE. This will appear at the left side of your header. The paper title should be typed in ALL CAPS.
The subsequent pages of your paper will have only the abbreviated title and the page number in the header, while the cover page will now have the Running Head and no page number.
10. Check the font size and style of your headers. They should be 12 pt. Arial or Times New Roman.
Do you have other general writing questions?
TCC has Writing Centers at each campus where writing tutors are available.