Contact the TCC Library

If the Library Chat is offline, try finding your answer in our FAQ database by typing the subject of your question in the box above and viewing the FAQs that appear as you type. If you don't find what you're looking for, you may submit your question and receive an answer via email or text.

twitter Facebook  instagram YouTube

Related Topics

Answered By Library Staff
Last Updated: Jul 16, 2021     Views: 4

So, if you have found a journal we hold only in print based on citation information, you have a few options! 

If you are at the campus where the catalog says the journal is held, there is usually an area where we store our issues. You can ask library staff a the circulation desk to direct you and even help you find it!

This is an example of a journal we hold in print, but pay attention to the years we hold. Sometimes libraries do not start subscribing until long after a journal has started publishing or they cancel their subscription even though the journal is still publishing. Sometimes, libraries have so many back issues that they start to bind the issues together into bound volumes. Volumes are created according to the publisher's structure to help researchers. Volumes, issues, and years are all used in citing an article and that is why!

Let's pretend that either your instructor recommended an article to you using the following information or you saw a citation for this in a bibliography and wanted to read it: 

Registered nurse journal.
Toronto : Registered Nurses' Association of Ontario, 1995-
Article Title
Update on supervised injection services (SIS).
Issue Date

All of this information can help you track down the print version of the article. By searching the catalog for "Registered nurse journal" (the journal title), you were able to find the link above. Maybe at first you tried the catalog for the article but could not find a result and so chose to search for the journal title instead. This is better sometimes because not all publishers offer indexing information or MARC records that sync with our catalog. 


This print journal is only held at Metro and only has issues (and therefore articles) published within this timeframe: 

info on print

If your article is published in 2014, then TCC would not have it available for you to read. You can place an ILL request for the article like that instead. 

If your article does fall within this timeframe, but you are not at that campus, you can still place an ILL request for the article and the Access Services Office will turn it into a document delivery request and will coordinate a scan for you. Or, you can reach out to that campus directly via the staff directory, asking them to scan and send to you via email.